Re: UTF8

Joseph Galbraith <galb-list%vandyke.com@localhost> writes:

> >>Given how common such systems are, it seems a bit odd that the IETF
> >>would take a position so apparently incompatible with them.
> > Do you have some numbers to back that up? I've seen quite some number
> > of unix systems, but as far as I can recall, I've *never* seen one
> > where usernames and passwords used non-ascii characters. (I *have*
> > seen plenty of non-ascii filenames, but as I said, that's a different
> > issue, and irrelevant to the core drafts). I live in latin1-land, not
> > asia, though.

The problem under discussion was systems, in particular unix servers,
where the particular character set used for non-ascii usernames and
passwords is tricky to determine, *and* non-ascii characters are
actually used.

My current belief is that such systems are very rare, so I'd like to
know if I'm wrong.

> I will say that windows can and does use non-ascii usernames and
> passwords, and it is not an uncommon operating system, though it
> is not the most common of server platforms.

I'm under the impression that those windows systems all use utf-8, not
different character sets on different systems or for different users.
Then, they don't matter, because they don't have a problem. Right?

Regards,