Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-publickey-subsystem-03.txt

On Monday, September 12, 2005 13:49:37 -0400 der Mouse <mouse%Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA@localhost> wrote:

Line 304:
   SHOULD be sent.  Note that normally, status messages are only sent by
s/only sent by/sent by only/
I've not done this one - the result struck me as more awkward than
what we have.  Instead, I've made it "Note that normally, status
messages are only sent by the server (in response to requests from
the client)."  I presume this achieves the clarification you were
after...

It still suffers from the problem: the "only" is attached to the wrong
thing.  See http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/modifiers.htm for a
short discussion of the issue.  If you really think that this is clear
enough even with "only" in the wrong place, well, go ahead.  I just
point out things I think need fixing.  You don't have to agree with me
about all (or even any) of them; it's your document, not mine. :)

Indeed it does. However, I believe another permutation solves the problem without sounding quite as awkward. If you say 'sent only by', then 'only' attaches to the prepositional phrase "by the server".

OTOH, it could be argued that if status messages are sent only by the server, and the server never talks to itself, then they are also only sent by the server, and never received by it. :-)