Re: sntrup761x25519-sha512

"Salz, Rich" <rsalz=40akamai.com%dmarc.ietf.org@localhost> writes:

> Nice to hear from you Mark!
>
>> I personally believe that using the @openssh.com extension is
> sufficient until final NIST candidate parameters are published.
>
> Okay, if that works, then that makes sense :)

It doesn't work -- sntrup761 is used widely on the Internet today and
will continue to be used.  What decision could NIST make that would
affect anything for sntrup761x25519-sha512?  The algorithm has been
stable since 2017.  Deferring publication of protocol specifications
until some external organization has made some unrelated decision is an
active decision that is harmful to Internet security, in my opinion.
Organization will continue to harvest data that will be decrypted in the
future, and this is contrary to the goals of the IETF.  It is similar to
say that we shouldn't have published Curve25519 because it wasn't
published by NIST.  Or ChaCha20.  Or TLS 1.3.  Or OpenPGP.  Or just
about anything that the IETF has ever published.

/Simon