Re: [Ssh] draft charter

Hi Jeff,

On 14/08/2024 01:05, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
Hm.  The ietf-ssh%netbsd.org@localhost list was used by the original secsh working
group and has served as a forum for ongoing (if quite low-volume)
discussion since then. Why not reuse it, instead of setting up a new list?

I think it's been quite a long time since any IETF WG hasn't had
an @ietf.org mailing list - there are some people who read IETF
lists via the IMAP interface for those, and using an @ietf.org list
also means list archives are preserved better, so I think we will
want to use an @ietf.org list for the WG. That said, we will need
to consider how to ensure that people only on ietf-ssh%netbsd.org@localhost
can be involved in the work. I'm not sure of the best approach to
that off the top of my head - I'd suggest we punt on that for the
moment and consider it once the WG is up and running. Is that ok?
(I can make a promise that as a co-chair, I'll bring this up as a
topic for discussion once the WG is formed, if that helps.)

The scope of a maintenance group like this should include discussion and
evaluation of proposed extensions and revisions. Of course, actually
working on any such proposal would require a charter revision, but IMHO it
should be clear that this group is the right place for such discussions.

That's fair. One goal with the initial charter is to try get up and
running with some relatively modest/obvious goals, and, if that pans
out, then re-chartering to do other stuff people want to do is entirely
feasible (modulo the charter guidance about preserving interop and
staying in step with real implementations).

So while of course the WG list will be a good place to propose
extensions and revisions, in order to make progress we'll want to
ensure the set of things we focus on are doable. That's all kind of
implicit though for any IETF WG - rechartering once initial work
is done or well underway is always possible, so I'm not sure we
need words in the charter saying that. But if you'd like to suggest
some, fire away...

Cheers,
S.

-- Jeff