Re: [Ssh] draft charter

From: ietf-ssh-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost <ietf-ssh-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost> on behalf of Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz%cmu.edu@localhost>
Sent: 14 August 2024 01:05

Hm.  The ietf-ssh%netbsd.org@localhost<mailto:ietf-ssh%netbsd.org@localhost> list was used by the original secsh working group and has served as a forum for ongoing (if quite low-volume) discussion since then. Why not reuse it, instead of setting up a new list?

<tp>
Archives.

The IETF has IMHO a better archive system; and it is what most of those on IETF lists expect, that is those that were not around and using the lists 20 years ago.

On the other hand, what the IDR list, a list that has some ongoing relevance in 2024:-), illustrates, is that when the list host changes, there is a discontinuity in the archives and that ia a source of potential confusion about what has gone before; and the basis of the work of the IETF is almost always to build on what has gone before so making it harder for people to know what has gone before leads to misunderstandings.

Tricky.

On balance, I think that bringing it under the IETF umbrella would be better but the risk is of losing what has gone before.  I do not know what the status of the current list archives is in terms of copyright.  Could the IETF get a copy of the archives?

I keep my own selective archives but every so often find them wanting.

Tom Petch

The scope of a maintenance group like this should include discussion and evaluation of proposed extensions and revisions. Of course, actually working on any such proposal would require a charter revision, but IMHO it should be clear that this group is the right place for such discussions.

-- Jeff

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024, 18:38 Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell%cs.tcd.ie@localhost<mailto:stephen.farrell%cs.tcd.ie@localhost>> wrote:

Thanks Deb,

On 13/08/2024 23:24, Deb Cooley wrote:

> Or for more information see here:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/sshm/about/

As you'll have seen if you went to that web page, Deb
and Paul have asked Job Snijders and I to help out doing
a bit of chairing whenever this WG is officially setup.
We're happy to try help out that way.

If anyone has any questions about IETF process or anything
else relevant, feel free to just mail the list, or if you
prefer, you could send off-list mail to Job and I.

Meanwhile, comments on the draft charter, [1] as Deb said,
would be good to get in the immediate future. If you think
that text is good enough, getting a few "looks good to me"
mails sent to the list could also be useful for people
involved in approving the formation of the WG.

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-sshm/