[Ssh] Re: draft charter

Stephen Farrell writes:
> At the time of writing this charter, it has been more than 17 years
> since the previous Secure Shell WG has been closed and its documents
> published. In the intervening years, current day implementations and
> RFCs have diverged, although the (now closed) curdle WG and various AD-
> sponsored RFCs have updated some of the SSH documentation, but in a
> somewhat sporadic manner as there was no WG chartered to generally
> maintain the SSH protocol documentation.

I think this paragraph is not charter text, it is justification why
this group should be accepted, i.e., it is input to IESG, but not
input to the sshm working group in the future.

I think we should replace this with actual description of the sshm
group, i.e. something like:

    Sshm WGs purpose is to maintain SSH standard and to facilitate
    discussion of clarifications, improvements, and extensions to SSH
    protocol. The working group also serves as a focus point for other
    IETF Working Groups who use SSH in their own protocols.

(copied from the IPsecME WG).

IPsecME is quite simiar group but for the IPsec standard, and we do
recharter every now and then to include stuff that is not considered
as minor extensions of clarifications, but we also offer contact point
for other groups when they have something related to the IPsec that
they want to do. We do have other working groups using SSH protocol
and providing them a WG where they can come and discuss with experts
is good thing. The SSHM WG can then either decide to recharter and
include that work, or say its fine to do that, but do the work on your
WG, or that is really bad idea, do not go forward with that
document...
--
kivinen%iki.fi@localhost