Re: terminal emulator

On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 00:20, George Georgalis <george%galis.org@localhost> wrote:

And, this thread reminded me how important mac metal is (font rendering).
I decided to look into forking (exporting) iTerm2 at v3.4.23 since
I basically trust that version, I figured it would be easy to keep the features
I want, and strip out everything else. What I found was frightening.
i have not tried to build yet but it is unlikely I'll get it organized where
I'm happy with it. Fortunately, someone else has already done that!

https://github.com/trufae/Therm

That seems the win, for Mac anyway. WezTerm seems my best
option elsewhere, if not xterm.

Just wanted to say thanks for the nudge here - for me, I was getting uneasy about things iTerm when it started mentioning AI, because I was fairly sure it wasn't doing that kind of thing locally, and then it asked me to modify my availability settings to let iTerm2 take command of this computer.

I admit that I read jperkin's comment about ugly fonts, and thought "ok, so how ugly can they be?"

Well, I lasted just over a day with kitty (I need tiling windows, and anything electron based seemed waaaaay overkill to me), using command keys to emulate focus follows mouse, but the fonts just grated on me - last straw was (I think) the terminfo entry, which didn't play nicely with command editing in tcsh, and I found myself having to type commands blind. Slow though I am, even I was aware at that point that kitty was not for me.

I've just built Therm - thanks once again for the pointer - and while some of it seems chatty -- "TAB BAR IS NOT VISIBLE HERE", "HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT 1" -- ok, so make that shouty -- I have discontinued my previous coping strategy of popping up Terminal.app windows everywhere

Best,
Alistair