abysmal check-portability speed

I am finding that on at least one of my machines,

Building qt5-qtwebengine-5.15.15 it is at

=> Checking for portability problems in extracted files

from ps:

  5:23.52 /bin/sh /n0/gdt/pkgsrc-current/pkgsrc/mk/check/check-portability.sh

This is a 9th gen i7, and someone told me that check-portability takes
1-2s ton their machine.

I do have WRKDIR in tmpfs, but tmpfs   seems to behave ok.

I of course have PKG_DEVELOPER set, and a few PKG_OPTIONS, but nothing
really odd.

As I dig in to checking various machines, etc., I'm just writing to ask
if anyone else is seeing this.