Re: Additional thoughts on text transfers

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:34:12AM -0500, Richard Whalen wrote:
> And what kinds of systems have you exchanged text files with?  Ever try VMS?
> The majority of text files on VMS systems are stored as variable length
> record files with implied line separators.  In most files there is a 2 byte
> record length between each record, that does not provide carriage control.
Yes, I actually helped with the system administration of a VMS cluster
for a few years.

There is a canonical representations of text files that your
implementation may use.  Also, you can always set the record length
manually after you transfered your file if the application did not do
it for you.  I am sure that your problems can be solved without
changing the wire protocol.

Niels.