Re: tcpip-forward requests and bind addresses

der Mouse wrote:
  The server SHOULD treat an 'address to bind' of "localhost" to be a
  special case meaning to listen on all supported protocol families on
  its loopback interfaces only.
[...]
Here, the first SHOULD at least makes sense, though what it's really
doing is to define yet another special-case semantic.

The reason I said "SHOULD" is that some APIs have a guaranteed way of getting a loopback-only bind and I thought that would be preferable if available. There may, however be a good reason for an implementation to rely on the name service for this, hence "SHOULD".

If the consensus is it's uncecessary it could be dropped and left as an implementation detail.

I don't think the SHOULD/MUST/MAY language is appropriate here.  I'd
word this something like

    Some strings have special-case semantics: "" as an address to bind

"is an address" ?

    means that connections are to be accepted from anywhere on all
    protocol families supported by the SSH implementation.  "0.0.0.0"
    means to listen on all IPv4 addresses

    [note: not "interfaces"; the
    mapping between intefaces and addresses can be multi-valued in
    either direction].

That's a good point.

    "::" means to listen on all IPv6 addresses.
    "localhost" means to listen on all supported protocol families on
    loopback addresses only.

"listen on all protocol families supported by the SSH implementation .." ?

    "127.0.0.1" and "::1", while not really
    special cases for a normally configured system [RFC3330] [RFC3515],

Is RFC3515 a typo?

    indicate listening on the loopback interfaces for IPv4 and IPv6
    respectively.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.