Re: WIP packages feedback: enlightenment and friends

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 at 10:28, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 at 20:36, <matthewd%fastmail.us@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > A few weeks ago I updated wip/efl and wip/enlightenment-current to the latest available. I've built both on NetBSD and Linux, and am currently running it on older laptop with NetBSD 10.
> >
> > I also imported wip/enlightenment-desktop, which pulls in the above two packages, but also adds a few other "enlightenment related packages" that could be considered part of a "desktop":
> > wip/ecrire            # text editor
> > wip/ephoto         # image viewer
> > wip/rage             # video player
> > wip/terminology # terminal
> >
> > Two other packages need a bit more work
> > wip/evisum      # process viewer, requires OS specific code.
> > wip/extra          # theme manager - To Be Added to pkgsrc, doesn't do anything yet for me.
> >
> > If folks are interested / able, I'd appreciate feedback on any / all of the above.  I believe wip/efl and wip/enlightenment-current could eventually replace x11/enlightenment and many of the other enlightenment-related libraries scattered around pkgsrc (evas/eet/efreet,edje,eet, and others).
>
> Had a quick play.
>
> I'm liking the UX in ephoto :), but when I went to exit the window
> froze and stdout just showed a stream of "EINA ERROR: 'Invalid
> argument' on spin_lock 0x779b2d36b984" - this is on NetBSD-10 amd64.
>
> terminology seems nice too, and it can use -misc-fixed which is an
> absolute requirement for me :)
>
> rage doesn't seem to play mp4 files for me
>
> thanks for the work so far!
>
> David

I also gave it a go, in the past I've used it on various systems,
including NetBSD. Runs very well for me as well. On first start it
took quite a bit of time with the spinning circle at the bottom right
corner, apparently while collecting all the applications and the rest
already available from other DEs. From time to time I also see a
message like

CRI<25498>:eina_log ../src/bin/efreet/efreetd.c:70 main() unknown log
domain -1, original message was: ERR: 'Can't create log file
'/tmp/efreetd_ymir.lorien.lan_XXXXXX.log'

Tracing efreetd shows that it does quite a lot of work before failing
with the above message. I don't know how important this daemon is, the
rest sems to work very well indeed. I think I am switching from LxQt.

Chavdar

--
----