Re: Specifying file names in SSH File Transfer Protocol

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:17:24AM -0700, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
> Next question: is there a need for a system identifier?  In our work here
> for VMS, we would have found it useful to know something about the other
> side of the transaction.  Specifically, if the system is UNIX, there's
> exactly 1 file structure.  However, on VMS, there are multiple file
> structures, so knowing the other side is VMS would be important.  I'm not
> suggesting that be part of the above message, but perhaps something in the
> initial message exchange could incorporate that functionality.
Do not complicate things. KISS is still a good moto.  ASN.1 is the
biggest mess to ever have entered the IETF.

I am sure that there is a canonical filename transformation from VMS
to UNIX and vice versa.  This is an application problem and I do not
see any need to further burden the ssh protocols.

Niels.