Re: tcpip-forward requests and bind addresses

der Mouse wrote:
The difference between addresses and interfaces has already been
pointed out, and the text has been altered appropriately.  However, a
similar issue applies to loopback addresses and interfaces --

Well spotted.  I would have mentioned it myself when I brought up
address-vs-interface elsewhere if I'd noticed it.

Here too I think using "interfaces" is wrong.  However, in this case
I'm much less sure that using "addresses" is right.  For IPv6, there is
exactly one loopback address, and it is ::1.  But for IPv4, all of
127/8 is defined as loopback, and it's not clear whether "127.0.0.1"
should mean just listen on 127.0.0.1, or on all of 127/8 (which latter
is hard to do on many systems, and is not what most software does).

I would definitely say "127.0.0.1" should mean 127.0.0.1,
and "127.0.0.2" should mean 127.0.0.2

I would also vote for "localhost" meaning 127.0.0.1 for the
IPv4 protocol + canonical localhost address for any other
protocols.

Thanks,

Joseph